- 07/25/2019 – Preliminary simulations for propulsion module electronics charging characteristics completed.
- 07/26/2019 – Official CAD concept model for the AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Integrated Propulsion Module revealed on social media.
- 07/29/2019 – Official CAD concept model for the AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Integrated Propulsion Module with example adapter plate for PocketQube integration revealed on social media.
- 07/30/2019 – Official CAD concept model of the AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Integrated Propulsion Module mounted in a standard 1P PocketQube frame revealed on social media.
- 07/31/2019 – Concept model of test PocketQube frame with mounted propulsion module in the Micro Propulsion Test Chamber for advanced integrated system testing revealed.
- 08/01/2019 – Design decision to switch to the EMCO Q-series 0.5W supply for the 1P module.
- 08/02/2019 – Preliminary performance comparison with the STRaND-1 Cubesat, which also uses low energy PPTs and a series of x8 EMCO Q-series supplies for power.
- 08/05/2019 – Circuit simulation completed comparing performance between the full 5V input for the Q15-5 supply and under-driving the Q20-5 supply directly with 3.3V. Average and peak power for a 1/3Hz firing rate was determined. Based on compatibility and expected performance trade-offs, the Q20-5 supply was selected for the 1P module.
- 08/09/2019 – Final PCB layout for V1 of the AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Integrated Propulsion Module for 1P PocketQubes revealed on social media.
The AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Integrated Propulsion Module represents the latest advance of open-source, low-cost micro-propulsion at Applied Ion Systems. The thruster module features the newly designed AIS-gPPT3-1C thrusters fully integrated with a custom power supply board. The board features an EMCO AG Series surface mount DC-DC converter. Total power consumption is 1W max for the entire thruster module, providing up to 1500V for the main capacitor bank. A high voltage trigger coil is used to provide up to 12kV trigger pulses for ignition of the thruster, which is also powered from the main high voltage supply.
The thruster module features an incredibly compact form factor, with a board footprint of 45mmx45mm, and a total depth of less than 25mm, making this module compact enough to fit within a 1P PocketQube, taking up a total of less than 0.25P of space within the satellite frame. With an allowed maximum of 7mm protrusion from the PocketQube outer frame dimensions, the total inner depth is further reduced to 16mm depth (0.16P).
At present, the AIS-gPPT3-1C Series Propulsion Module is the first official, openly available-design propulsion module specifically optimized for PocketQubes, and may be the lowest-cost, smallest form-factor, completely integrated propulsion system available on the market to date.
- Thruster Type: AIS-gPPT3-1C Micro Gridded Pulsed Plasma Thruster
- Max Power Draw: 1 Watt
- Primary Capacitor Bank: 1 uF
- Primary Bank Working Voltage: 1.5kV (Max)
- Thruster Energy: 0.37-1.13 Joules
- Ignition Voltage: 12 kV
- Pulse Repetition Rate: 0.5 Hz Min, 0.33-0.25 Hz Nominal
- Size: 45mm x 45mm x 24mm
- Vacuum Levels Tested: TBD
- Lifetime: TBD
- Impulse Bit: TBD
- Current Testing Level: Prototype Assembly
- Completed Testing Level: TBD
- Status: ACTIVE
BILL OF MATERIALS
ENGINEERING TEST REPORTS